Tuesday 26 February 2008

It's a wired world

As I look over the different technology elements involved in the creation of my combined feed I can't help but be amazed.

There are three sources: My blog (the simple Atom feed), NewsGator clippings (stuff I tag in my reader, FeedDemon, in RSS) and Del.icio.us (stuff I tag with tfkfeed in delicious, also in RSS)

These three feeds are merged, de-duplicated and sorted by publish date by a Yahoo Pipe and spat out as a single RSS stream.

This RSS stream flows through FeedBurner, which truncates the posts, and creates a combined-format feed that is more broadly compatible than standard RSS or Atom.

We've been pretty successful in Ernst & Young at utilising feeds. We've got many internal sources producing feeds, not just blogs. Some of our knowledge repositories and portals will display content in a mini-reader. All desktops have a feed reader (other than the rather incapable embedded ones).

I'm working now to raise awareness of what comes after this, and although it will take some time before we see anything like the picture I've painted above, I'm looking forward to challenge.

2 comments:

Real Twitstable said...

I envy the setup you have there. We are still in the process of convincing the business of the merits of RSS and what it can bring, but we are some way behind you...

Richard Kernick said...

It is not an easy thing to do. I think we were lucky in that a few key people saw the value and we were able to make the case.