Tuesday 30 October 2007

It's just a word, but a significant one

I get a lot of people talking to me about things that are 'strategic' and it's very clear that they don't mean the same thing I mean when I use the word. Actually there is a similar disconnect with the word tactical too. So what do people mean when they say strategic:
  1. Long term: this is something that's going to be around for a long time.
  2. Paradigm shift: something that's completely different to the current solution.
  3. Big: it's a large bit of work, or taking a larger (more general perhaps) view.
  4. Important: something important... but to whom?
The word Strategic comes from the Greek word stratēgos meaning general. From answers.com the following definition:
adj. Important or essential in relation to a plan of action; Highly important to an intended objective
So I've started to challenge people when they use the word to clarify what they mean. Here's what I mean when I use it, and then I'm going to stop using it if I can...
I mean it is significant, or a course of action that is for the long term and perhaps difficult/expensive to undo; and by long term, intended as a platform for further development (something that could therefore include a licence to increase its significance over time).
Conversely I use tactical to mean something that is certainly not significant and can be replaced at any time and certainly cannot be used as a platform.

So I'm going to adopt the word significant in preference to strategic and see if that brings clarity to my conversations.

No comments: