Monday 9 July 2012

Carefully exceeding the mandate

It strikes me that many enterprise architecture groups are stuck in IT departments desperate to break free from the shackles of solution architecture and talk to the business yet hampered by a constrained job description, limited by their own leaders' perceptions and invisible to leaders beyond IT walls. So often I hear people talk about their practice of enterprise architecture as though the bonds have been broken. On deeper questioning, however, it becomes clear the mandate under which they are operating remains unchanged. I cannot help feeling that these groups are simply delusional. I wonder too how they continue to deliver on their restrictive mandate as they must be spending a large amount of time doing things for which they have none.


There is no easy answer on to how to draw an enterprise architecture group out of the shadow of IT. I suspect the answer is different for every group and every organisation - as is the nature of cultural change. My suggestion is to ensure you pay attention to deliver the things you are tasked with and be intentional (I mean really develop a plan for it) about nudging those around towards a different view of the your true value. I don't believe this is an enormously difficult task if approached in the right way and with the right set of skills. I believe this because I believe in the value of architecture at the enterprise level.

No comments: